Thursday, December 8, 2011

Book Review - How to Wordpress - 10 Easy Steps to Creating a Killer Website using Wordpress

       I have been out of blogging for a while because I decided it was the time for me to do some reading and learning.  Now that I'm back, I'm happy to share with you what I have read in the past weeks.  Let me start with this book by Ciprian Gherghescu. 
    





















     I've been with Blogger for more than a year and I've been maintaining my Jaydemia website for more than 4 years now.  As most of us already know, Wordpress is also one of the most used blogging tools and I was determined to find out more about it.  This book with a very direct title and a Step by Step style seems to answer the endless questions I have as a Wordpress newbie. 

      I like that the book has short chapters, illustrations, budget examples and links of service providers.  It even gives advice on how and where to a list your new website for more exposure. 

      Over all though, I have to say I'm a bit disappointed with the book. As someone who do not have prior knowledge about Wordpress, this book hasn't fully explained what Wordpress is in a manner that can easily be understood.   Also, the difference between wordpress.com and wordpress.org what not given much attention. 

        After reading the book for a dozen times, there were questions that seemed left answered such as:
1. Is Wordpress a website template tool which I just add when I have my domain and hosting?
2. What's the difference of just having a Wordpress account?
3. What make is more affordable than using the templates provided by hosting services?

          In the end, I suggest that a simplier manner is always better for a how to book. Specifics are very important.  If the writer has gone through the process of actually creating an example website like that of a hair salon from getting a domain name to finish with illustrations, it will be most beneficial to the reader.
I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.comhttp://www.tomoson.com/?code=BOTTOMb1eb5337de269c98b65710dcdd830ee1">Tomoson.com>. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.

2 comments:

  1. I think the main thing that confuses folks is that there is Wordpress.com - a straight bloggins site like blogger. And then there's Wordpress.org which is the wordpress you download, install on a server and build a website with.

    But a well done review of the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Friends n Chocolate. The book specifically said that it should be for beginners or someone without knowledge of Wordpress. At that time, I have no idea of the existence of the 2 Wordpress which rose to so many confusions.

    ReplyDelete