I am a huge fan of crumb cakes. There is something so comforting about a light fluffy butter cake with a burst of cinnamon flavored brown sugar topping. Though this dessert or coffee cake for some, is often available anywhere, I tend to stay away from the ready made varieties because some are either dry, too sweet or worse loaded with preservatives and things I don't even know about. If I am going to indulge, it better be worth every calorie.
3/4 cups butter softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 1/2/ cups flour
3/4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/4 cups sour cream
1 1/2 tsps lemon extract
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbs cinnamon powder
1 cup melted butter
2 1/2 cups flour
1. Grease a 9x13 pan using the wrappers of the butter.
2. Using a wooden spoon, combine the dry ingredients of the Crumb topping. Then slowly drizzle with melted butter. Mix until well incorporated. Set aside.
3. In a bowl, combine the dry ingredients for the cake.
4. In a different bowl, with an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
5. Add eggs one at a time.
6. Alternately add the dry ingredients and sour cream in 3 batches to the batter. Starting with the dry and ending with the sour cream. Add the lemon extract.
7. Tranfer the batter to the baking pan. It will be thick so you need to spread it using the back of a wooden spoon or spatula.
8. Crumb the topping and sprinkle all over the cake batter. It may look a lot but you MUST use all of it.
9. Bake at 350 degrees for about 45-55 minutes or do the toothpick test.
10. Cool before slicing.
Please, no matter how tempting it can be, wait for it to cool completely before cutting or else the topping will all fall apart.
Try this recipe and let me know if you "Can't get enough" of this Crumb Cake.