When you are having one of those crazy days and in need of some bliss, this chocolate cupcake is for you. It's packed with good for you ingredients. Really! You can even substitute wheat or gluten free flour and still get the same moist, chocolatey goodness. Just don't remove the "kicker". It's a Cheater's cupcake after all. Enjoy!
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup wheat germ
1 3/4 cups sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tbs vanilla whey protein
1 1/2 cup chocolate flavored almond milk
1/2 cup Kahlua coffee liquor or cooled brewed coffee
3/4 cup vegetable oil
2 extra large eggs
1 cup hazelnut spread (Nutella)
1 tsp Kahlua
1 cup mini semi sweet chocolate chips
1. In a bowl combine flour, wheat germ, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cocoa powder and whey protein.
2. In a separate bowl, mix together almond milk, coffee liquor (or brewed coffee), oil and eggs until well incorporated.
3. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined. Don't overmix.
4. Scope to muffins pans lined with paper liners.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for about 12-15 mins.
6. Transfer to racks to cool completely.
7. Mix in coffee liquor in Nutella to make frosting.
8. Smear over cupcakes and top with chocolate chips.
This recipe makes about 36 cupcakes.